Let's keep this brief. Here is what I am aiming for, starting tomorrow:
- #VTReadingChallenge: This was proposed by Tim Challies at challies.com and I can't help but want to try. I am not someone who reads constantly, but I hope that through this challenge I can become more diverse in what I read. I also wouldn't mind getting a little smarter and wiser in the process.
- Language learning: Always a goal, but also the goal most often moved to the back of my mind. I've blogged about it before, and I think I will stay with the tools I have used before. Memrise, italki, Chinese Skill, Pleco, etc.
- Bible Reading: I'm torn between doing a pre-made plan or just coming up with my own custom plan. I'm not sure whether slowly working through a book at a time with a few commentaries by my side would be better right now, or if trying to read a lot of the Bible in each sitting to really immerse myself in it as many times as I can get through it would be better. I'm leaning towards slow and steady right now. We'll see.
- Fitness: After doing the Tough Mudder this year I realized the value in being in shape. I felt better and I had more energy. I have since become more sedentary and have already lost quite a bit of strength. I will be going through some workout apps that I got for my iPhone in hopes to gain some of what I had back. I would like to do something every day, maybe alternating muscle workouts and running/biking every other day. I hope the weather starts getting a little nicer...
- Family: I really want to engage my family more. Play more board games with my wife and kids, play video games with the boys, take the girls on dates, etc. Most importantly I want to pray with my wife and kids and slowly work through a book of the Bible together. I think that might be a good idea.
- Church: I really want to connect with the people that God has entrusted me with in whatever way possible. I want to pray for them more and hear their hearts more. It's hard in our busy world to know exactly how to do that, but I want to make more of an effort even if it is just by sending a daily email of encouragement to a person in the church each day. I don't know. Still thinking through this.
There is more brewing in my mind, but this is what is fresh. What is different about tomorrow than any other day? Nothing. But I want to be more intentional, so I will take the little extra push of it being a new year to get me over that hurdle of getting distracted again. I will be blogging again, hopefully, and we'll see what happens.
God's grace in Jesus to whoever reads this. Enjoy the beginning of a new year!