Friday, June 13, 2008

2008 Reading List


With the Desiring God Conference approaching in September, I thought it would be wise to look at all of the books I own, establish which ones I haven't read, and read those before I buy more books at the conference. Since I already have so many books to read, it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy more, but then again, that's part of the fun of going to a conference. It would be like going to Disney World and coming back without a t-shirt or mouse ears.

So in lieu of the conference, I have compiled a list of books that I own that I have not yet read. On a side note, my wife was watching me write down the titles of all my books and in the most loving way said, "Are you writing down the books you haven't read? That's going to be discouraging..."

Yes, yes it is. Overwhelming even. I don't plan on reading all of these by the conference, although that would be a fun goal. These are the books that I plan on reading for the rest of 2008. God help me.

This list is in no particular order.

Eusebius
The History of the Church

John Stott
The Cross of Christ
Basic Christianity
The Incomparable Christ

David Powlison
Seeing With New Eyes

Jeremiah Burroughs
Gospel Fear
Gospel Worship
A Treatise on Earthly Mindedness
The Excellency of a Gracious Spirit

R.C. Sproul
The Truth of the Cross
The Holiness of God
Chosen By God
Scripture Alone

Mark Dever
What is a Healthy Church
The Gospel and Personal Evangelism

Al Mohler
Culture Shift

Thabiti Anyabwile
The Faithful Preacher

John Piper
The Future of Justification
Battling Unbelief
Brothers We Are Not Professionals
Don't Waste Your Life
Future Grace
A Hunger for God
Let the Nations Be Glad!
The Pleasures of God
What Jesus Demands from the World

John MacArthur
The Gospel According to Jesus

David Wells
The Courage to Be Protestant

DA Carson
Christ and Culture Revisited

Bob Kauflin
Worship Matters

John Bunyan
Pilgrim's Progress

John Foxe
Foxe's Book of Martyrs

Thomas a Kempis
The Imitation of Christ

John Owen
Overcoming Sin & Temptation

Burk Parsons
Assured By God

Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Preaching and Preachers

CH Spurgeon
Lectures to My Students

Sam Storms
Pleasures Evermore

Noel Piper
Treasuring God in Our Traditions

John Wesley
The Journal of John Wesley

Packer/Dever
In My Place Condemned He Stood

De Young/Kluck
Why We're Not Emergent

Dever/Duncan/Mohler/Mahaney
Preaching the Cross

Jeffrey/Ovey/Sach
Pierced for Our Transgressions

Williams/Cooper
If You Could Ask God One Question

Tice/Cooper
Christianity Explored

Piper/Taylor
A God Entranced Vision of All Things

Various
Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching


(By the way, the image above is not my bookshelf. I found this image here: www.joeclipart.com/blog/archives/photo/)

No comments:

Post a Comment