Friday, February 22, 2008

Preaching and Teaching Jesus from Scripture (Pt. 5)

At last, Part 5 of Mark Driscoll's 5-part series on 'Preaching and Teaching'. We've reached the end, and I hope that it was a beneficial for you as it was for me. The title of the final message is Ten Cautions & Encouragements for Preachers.

I feel that I must remind each of you, in light of Mark's ability to speak, to please take all that you hear with a grain of salt. It can be far too easy to jump on board with someone who is well spoken without taking time to think and pray over the things that they have said. While I agree with almost all of what Mark has said, as a preacher and teacher you must personally discern what is most useful for your flock in particular. What is lacking in your church? What is strong in your church? Is the gospel being preached every Sunday in one way, shape, or form? What I gleaned most from this series was the importance of the message during Sunday worship. (And any other days where there is a teaching.) It would be a very sad thing to have a preacher/teacher who thought that, since most people apparently forget everything they've heard, that their time speaking was a waste of time, or ineffective. It may be that the very reason the teaching is ineffective is because of the low view of it in the church. Who knows? Please don't misunderstand. I am not trying to promote a high view of the preacher, but rather a high view of the spoken word of God. In any case, I hope you've enjoyed the series, and gained some tools for your 'Preacher's Toolbox'. Maybe I'll try to do similar 'Series Posts' like this in the future.

If you would like the sermon note summary for this teaching or if the video does not load properly please click here.


Sorry, your browser doesn't support the embedding of multimedia.
Again, my thanks goes out to Mark Driscoll and the Resurgence for making these videos available to the public.

1 comment:

  1. I have never been a big Driscoll fan. As he admits, there have been things that he has said in preaching and books that If found not only inaccurate but offensive.

    However, I find this to be very encouraging of the work I pray God is doing in him. This was good. He gave good advice as far as I can see. I have high hopes and higher prayers for Mark. God can use whom He wills, and I pray He uses Mark Driscoll and glory can be given His name for the change in Marks ways and heart.

    Solus Christus

    ReplyDelete